Skip to content

Programs : Budget Sheet

The following listing represents the Spring Budget Sheet for *UMass: UK: Canterbury: University of Kent.

Spring Budget Sheet for *UMass: UK: Canterbury: University of Kent
Spring Budget Sheet for *UMass: UK: Canterbury: University of Kent
Budget Item In-State UMass Amherst Out-of-State UMass Amherst
Education Abroad Fee *   $860.00 $860.00
Tuition & Fees *   $8,000.00 $12,250.00
Education Abroad Application Fee *   $50.00 $50.00
Billable subtotal:  $8,910.00 $13,160.00
Housing   $4,200.00 $4,200.00
Meals   $1,340.00 $1,340.00
Airfare   $1,200.00 $1,200.00
Ground Transportation to Program Site   $160.00 $160.00
Local Transportation   $270.00 $270.00
Books/Study Materials   $300.00 $300.00
Visa/Residence Fees   $0.00 $0.00
Personal Expenses   $2,500.00 $2,500.00
Non-billable subtotal:  $9,970.00 $9,970.00
Total: $18,880.00 $23,130.00

Exchange Rate used to calculate estimates of non-billable items listed above:  US$ 1.00 = GB£ .75. Exchange rates change frequently. Visit to check the current rates.

Accommodation (Housing)
Campus accommodation is no more than a few minutes' walk from all the central facilities. Accommodation is either in colleges or in self-catered houses or flats, so you have the opportunity to make new friends from around the world.
Colleges offer rooms on a 'bed and breakfast' basis or 'bed and bistro' basis (with breakfast and dinner). Self-catered houses or flats offer a shared kitchen and have between five and nine bedrooms. Over 50 per cent of Kent accommodation is ensuite (private bathroom). All students, no matter where they live, belong to one of the colleges. Each has its own living, social, teaching and study facilities and is made up of students from different disciplines and nationalities. College Masters are part of a network of people, including course advisers, who have a responsibility for student welfare.

Exchange students arriving in in January can live on-campus provided they make an accommodation application by November 30.The choice of housing in Semester 2 (January to June) is often very restricted. The Accommodation Office will try to allocate you to one of your preferred halls, but please understand that it is common for Semester 2 students to be offered a place in an alternative hall. Applications for housing are made online via the Accommodation Office website. You will need to wait until you receive your University ID number from the Study Abroad Office before attempting to apply for housing. 

Accommodation fees are paid directly to Kent online. Your accommodation fees should be paid within two weeks from the start of term. The spring is comprised of two terms (January through March & April through June) The University does not issue invoices for accommodation fees. You will be issued with an accommodation agreement when you accept your room offer and this will detail the fees due for the year and the dates on which they are due for payment. Bedding packs are available for purchase online.

Most accommodation is in “self-catered” halls, meaning that you would buy food and cook for yourself in your flat and or eat at restaurants or cafes on/off campus.

Getting to Canterbury
Travelling via taxi from a London airport to the University of Kent, you can expect to pay in the region of £70 - £120. The cost will vary depending on which London airport you arrive at and how many passengers are travelling (you may need a bigger vehicle). You should make sure you have the amount available in British Currency (notes or coins) and you should pay the driver at the end of the journey. You can also take public transportation (bus or train). 

Personal expenses
Personal expenses include laundry, cell phone, entertainment, and incidentals.

Independent Travel Costs
Costs for independent travel (on weekends, during break) vary widely depending on choices of destination and accommodation, and frequency of travel. Make sure to take this into account.

Student Visa
Student Entry Clearance is required only for students studying more than 6 months, or if students plan to intern or work while in the UK. The cost is Student Entry Clearance is GB£322 ($430). Students studying in the UK for one semester are not required to obtain Student Entry Clearance, but will obtain a student visa by providing documentation to UK border officials upon entry to the UK. There is no cost for a student visa for US citizens. Citizens of other countries may need to apply for a student visa prior to arrival in the UK and pay $125. All students are required to attend a UK visa meeting at UMass as part of the application process. UMass will provide you with guidance/instructions for obtaining a visa, but note that it is your responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa and/or residence permit.

Health Insurance
If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa, you are eligible for full health insurance coverage while in the UK under the National Health Service of Britain (surcharge paid along with visa application GB£150 for the year and GB£75 for a semester).  In general, specialist care for pre-existing conditions may not be covered. If you enter the UK on a Short-term Study Visa you are not covered by the British National Health plan. In all instances, you are covered by the UMass International Travel Insurance, which covers emergency and urgent care coverage and some travel services to UMass students participating in university sponsored and approved international study abroad programs. If you are not covered by the British NHS, you will have to pay up front at the time of treatment for any medical services you receive and submit receipts to the UMass insurance for reimbursement.

Students are only covered while actively participating in the study abroad program.  So during any semester breaks, you are still covered, however, if you choose to arrive in the UK earlier than the official start date of their exchange or choose to extend your stay beyond the end of the semester, you are not covered. You may wish to obtain coverage for those periods not covered by the UMass plan by purchasing the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) The ISIC, which includes a comprehensive travel insurance policy, costs only $25 dollars and is valid for one year from date of issue.

* Billable item