UMass: Europe: Urban Sustainability Study Tour (LARP) (Summer)
Amsterdam, Netherlands; Paris, France; Rotterdam, Netherlands (Outgoing Program)
Click here to register for the spring semester course LA 593F: Urban Sustainability Study Tour.
Spring Semester Seminar
The course will meet weekly throughout the Spring 2015 semester to learn; theory and best practices of urban sustainability including, sustainable transportation; pedestrianization, urban land use planning, brownfield redevelopment and park/open space planning and design in preparation of travel. Weekly homework will include readings, discussion, projects and sketching.
• To learn current theory and best practices for urban sustainability in a broad international perspective informed by literature.
• To learn how specific policies and projects in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Paris demonstrate and implement sustainability principals and goals.
• To gain an integrated perspective and understanding: urban history, architecture, city planning, urban design, and landscape architecture, in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Paris.
• To develop/improve basic sketching skills to record and communicate impressions of urban spaces, landscapes and architecture and to develop and apply diagramming/analytical drawing techniques.
• To develop “21st Century International Literacy” (digital literacy, global literacy, technical literacy, visual and information literacy) through travel, sketching, and research
Preliminary Travel Itinerary
The study tour part of the course will occur from May 13--27, 2015 with approximately 7 days in Amsterdam, 3 days in Rotterdam, and 5 days in Paris.
The daily itinerary will include visits to Vondel Park, The Canal District, the Jordan neighborhood, the new Westergasfabriek Park, the new waterfront of Borneo--Sporenburg and Ijburg, Possible Excursion to the Kroller Muleeer Museum
The daily itinerary will include visits to The Schowerburgplein Square (West 8) the Museum Park, the Kunsthall (Rem Koolhaus) the Kop--van--Zuid district. Planned office visit to the West 8 Design Firm, a leading Landscape Architecture practice. Excursion to the Coast to see Dutch ideas on protection for sea level rise.